The 2-second area is my recollection as well, from when I played with noise
sequence length, probably 20 years ago. Under 2, you don’t really have to pay
attention to hear a repeat—your latches onto it easily—and as you get longer,
you have to listen more carefully, and you get to the point quickly where
you’re questioning yourself whether you’re hearing it repeat.

The bottom line, I think, is that yes white noise is random, but the low
frequency components are, well, low frequency. And it’s pretty each to pick out
a repeating bump there. Not necessarily the bass end, more in the kids, and is
probably a tradeoff between frequency and ear sensitivity.

I just did a q&d app, which generates 10 seconds of white noise, then adjusts
the loop length as a percentage of the mouse vertical in the window, and start
point based on horizontal position.

Anyway, like I said, I’ve been through this before so there were no surprises.
Sampo, were you looking for a particular revelation? I’m not sure if I’m
listening for what you were getting at.