>There is just no way A/B testing on a sample of listeners,
>at loud, but still realistic listening levels, would show that
>dithering to 16bit makes a difference.

Well, can you refer us to an A/B test that confirms your assertions?
Personally I take a dim view of people telling me that a test would surely
confirm their assertions, but without actually doing any test.

And again, there are a variety of real-world use cases where the 16 bit
audio from a CD (or whatever) has its dynamic range reduced in the playback
chain. Are we supposed to just ignore those use cases?