Hi

Specifically for the FFT: it would have to be a synthesis form tending to have changes in many harmonics over the time of a IFFT interval, where the harmonics are an integer of the base frequency. That's the most logical answer, even though it only talks about the IFFT. Like some here suggested you could do signal analysis with the forward FFT to create "frequency samples", or real time effects, or parts thereof, but that wasn't the question.

Probably it is also logical to look at applications of accelerated computing for (I)FFTs, as it were to make use of the fastest (I)FFTs around to make some form of synthesis with, which would make the(I)FFT preferable over other frequency analysis/synthesis tools, which is probably part of history.

In the context of synthesis, or intelligent multi sampling with complicated signal issues, you could try to make the FFT analysis and filtering a targeted part of the synthesis path, so that the playing back of samples contain variations and sample information that can be picked up and transformed by a FFT based signal path element. In some form (not exactly as I described in general terms) I believe this is the case with the Kurzweils.

Finally, you could build in pro-mixing "telephone line" sounds that a complex mix setup can detect and make Equal Loudness Curve corrections and even DAC (Signal Reconstruction) Transient Inter Modulation corrections with.

Playing with the FFT in a sense common in sciences can be of use to all kinds of approximations and components of a digital signal path requiring fast frequency analysis, like speech coding in the 80s. I'm sure I could come up with some interesting uses for my own string simulator software, and a dozen other fun computations, with or without good success, but I think work is more interesting where the analysis of synthesis is done that prevents loudness wars and all kinds of ugly and distorted signals. But that's hard, I've not seen many people work on that.

T.V.