> What is the usual technique for simulating plucked strings?

As already mentioned in the thread, additive synthesis can be used for this.
Here is an example using only sinusoidal oscillators:

http://www.freesound.org/people/jaiserpey/sounds/165444/

The key is the amplitude envelopes used for each oscillator. In the example
above I used Cellular Automata to generate those amp. envelopes, using also a
technique for sound design called Histogram Mapping Synthesis (HMS).

A recent paper about the HMS technique has been published in the Computer Music
Journal. In the link above there is a conference paper explaining the technique
especifically for the design of plucked string-like sounds.

Jaime Serquera