The following link provides lots of detail regarding implementation:

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/6855/FFT-of-waveIn-audio-signals

You can find the FFT code written by Don Cross, which is used in the
above article at:

http://web.archive.org/web/20020221213551/http://www.intersrv.com/~dcross/fft.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20020221213551/http://www.intersrv.com/~dcross/fft.zip

If you don't need high perfomance optimizations of FFTW, it's a much more
accessible FFT implementation than FFTW.