Ross and Conner,

It's absolutely true that each callback must respond in a certain amount of
time. The maximum execution time of each callback is something you need to
consider. Ross' language is more precise, but maybe some arm-wavy examples
will help:

- If each callback does the same amount of work (e.g., each call does an
FFT on all the incoming data), then each callback likely takes about the
same amount of time. In this case, moving to another thread *probably*
won't help (although, depending on the system, it might, especially if you
are anywhere near the allotted time you have for each callback).
- If some callbacks do different amounts of work (e.g., filling a buffer
and doing one FFT every three or four callbacks), then the maximum time is
much larger than the average. In this case, passing the audio to another
thread and doing the work there will likely help, because the additional
buffering helps to "spread the work around".

bjorn

Bjorn Roche
@shimmeoapp