>The fact that the constant maps to a delta and the successive higher
>derivatives to monomials of equally higher order sort of correspond to
>the fact that in order to approximate something with such fiendishly
>local structure as a delta (corresponding in convolution to taking the
>value) and its derivatives (convolution with which is the derivative of
>corresponding order) calls for polynomially increasing amounts of high
>frequency energy. That is, something you can only handle in the
distributional
>setting, with its functionals and only a local sense of integration.
Trying to
>interpret something like that the way we do in conventional L_2 theory
sounds
>ikely to lead to pain.

Thanks for expanding on that, this is quite interesting stuff. However, if
I'm following this correctly, it seems to me that the problem of
multiplication of distributions means that the whole basic set-up of the
sampling theorem needs to be reworked to make sense in this context. I.e.,
not much point worrying about whether to call whatever exotic combination
of derivatives of delta functions that result from polynomials as "band
limited" or not, when we don't have a way to relate such a property back to
sampling/reconstruction of well-tempered distributions in the first place.
No?