>all ergodic processes are stationary.  (not necessarily the other way
around.)

Ah, right, there is no constant mean for a time average to converge to if
the process isn't stationary in the first place. Been a while since I
worried about the details of ergodicity, mostly I have the intuitive notion
that there is no "unreachable" state or infinite memory (ala a fully
connected Markov chain).

>the reason (besides forgetting stuff i learned 4 decades ago) i left out
"stationary" was that i was sorta conflating the two. i just wanted to be
able to turn the time-averages in the whatever norm (and L^2 is >as good as
any) with probabilistic averages, which is the root meaning of the property
"ergodic".  but probably "stationary" is a better (stronger) assumption to
make.

Err, didn't we just establish that ergodicity is the stronger condition?

Also I don't think we need to worry about ergodicity in the first place.
The process in the OP is ergodic (for P not equal to 0) but we don't need
to use that anywhere. We can compute the autocorrelation directly without
any reference to time averages or other statistics. We only need ergodicity
if we also want to estimate the autocorrelation/psd from example data.
Which is important for making plots to verify that the answer is correct,
but not needed just to derive the autocorrelation/spectrum themselves.
Unless I missed something - where did this ergodicity assumption come from?