>there is nothing *motivating* us to define Rx[k] = E{x[n] x[n+k]} except
that we
>expect that expectation value (which is an average) to be the same as the
other definition

Sure there is. That definition gets you everything you need to work out a
whole list of major results (for example, optimal linear predictors and how
they relate the the properties of the probabilistic model) without any
reference to statistics. You get all the insights into how everything fits
together, and then you move on to the extra wrinkles that arise when
dealing in statistical estimates of the quantities in question.

To relate this back to the OP: Ross gave us a probabilistic description of
a random process, from which we can work out the autocorrelation and psd
without any reference to ergodicity, or any signal realizations to compute
sample autocorrelations on.

>otherwise, given the probabilistic definition, why would we expect the
Fourier Transform of Rx[k] = E{x[n] x[n+k]} to be the power spectrum?

In the modern context, that is the *definition* of the power spectral
density. The question of whether any particular statistic converges to it
is a separate question, considered after setting up the underlying
probabilistic models and relationships. You sort out what the underlying
quantity is, and only then do you consider how well a particular statistic
is able to approach it.

>by definition, **iff** it's ergodic, then the statistical estimate (by
that you mean the average over time)
>converges to the probabilistic expectation value.  if it's *not* ergodic,
then you don't know that they are the same.

Right, that's the definition of ergodicity. This seems phrased as a
disagreement or criticism but I'm not seeing the issue?

I certainly agree that autocorrelation and power spectral density are of
limited utility in the context of non-ergodic processes. And even more so
for non-stationary processes. But they're still well-defined (well, not so
much psd for non-WSS processes, but autocorrelation is perfectly general).

>what you call the "statistical estimate" is what i call the "primary
definition".

Right.

>well, it's not just random processes that have autocorrelations.
 deterministic signals have them too.

Deterministic signals are a subset of random processes. The probabilistic
treatment is a generalization of the deterministic case. It's overkill if
you only want to deal with deterministic signals, but in the general case
it's all you need.

>your first communications class (the book i had was A.B. Carlson) started
out with probability and stochastic processes???

My first communications class required as a prerequisite an entire course
on random processes. Which in turn required as a prerequisite yet another
entire course on basic probability and statistics. So there were two entire
courses of prob/stat/random processes pre-reqs before you get to day 1 of
communications systems.

Not sure what Carlson looked like in your time, but the modern editions do
a kind of weird parallel-track thing in this area. He does deterministic
signals first, and uses the same definitions as you. Then halfway through
he switches to random signals, and defines autocorrelation and psd directly
in terms of expected values as I describe. So it's "one definition for
deterministic case, another for random case," and then some paragraphs
bringing up the concept of ergodicity and how it bridges the two cases. The
way that the Carlson pedagogy would approach the OP - where we were given
an explicit description of a random signal - is in probabilistic terms
using definitions of acf and psd in terms of expected value.