On Feb 5, 2017, at 12:54 PM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> using the analytic filter to get the instantaneous amplitude envelope (and,
> also, instantaneous frequency by differentiating phase) is something that
> works only with single sinusoids that are AM'd or FM'd.  for music, i think i
> would LPF the square of the signal (or run an efficient sliding max
> algorithm, we discussed this a while back) and work with that.

I'm curious what aspects of a music make the complex magnitude of the analytic
signal inappropriate for estimating the envelope? In communications signal
processing we use this often, even for signals that are fairly wide-band with
respect to the sample rate and it seems to work.

> but the reason i am most interested is in a frequency shifter.  like the ham
> radio single-sideband (SSB) thingie.  this is not a pitch shifter and detunes
> harmonic overtones into the inharmonic.  but it is totally glitch-free and
> can sometimes be handy to detune something slightly so that there is not a
> buildup of energy at a specific frequency (when there is feedback of some
> sort).  pitch shifters can do that too, but time-domain pitch shifters might
> have glitches for non-monotonic input and frequency-domain pitch shifters
> have a huge throughput delay.  also, this glitch-free frequency shifting can
> be slowly modulated.  might be useful for chorusing.  combined with a pitch
> shifter and pitch detector, you can shift harmonics without shifting the
> fundamental (i.e. pitch it up with a pitch shifter and then bring back down
> the fundamental to the original pitch.)

Yes - the Bode-style frequency shifter is a fun and useful effect. I've done
several of them for modular synthesizers using these IIR all-pass structures:

With a dsPIC - http://www.modcan.com/bmodules/dualfs.html

With an STM32F303 - http://modcan.com/emodules/dualfreqshifter.html

Also with a dsPIC - http://synthtech.com/eurorack/E560/

There are example soundfiles at the above sites showing some of the subtle and
radical variations that are possible with different amounts of shift, feedback
and various shifting waveforms.

Eric