On 02/07/2017 07:49 AM, Ethan Fenn wrote:
So I guess the general idea with these frequency shifters is something like:

pre-filter -> generate Hilbert pair -> multiply by e^iwt -> take the
real part

Am I getting that right?

Now that I think about it, another application might be in stereo
imaging. Start with a mono signal, generate the Hilbert pair, feed one
to each ear. Now you've got a really wide image without changing the
sound much at all.

That's the right idea. In fact if you multiply by e^iw you can get arbitrary phase shifts to move the stereo image around subtly. For this reason, most of the frequency shifters I've worked on have a nonlinear response in the mapping of control voltage that gives fine resolution near DC shift frequency so that you can dial in small offsets for subtle phasing effects.

Eric