Yes, there are lots of interesting things that can be done with
frequency shifting. Feedback suppression in a PA system by frequency
shifting was suggested by Manfred Schroeder a long time ago. I have
occasionally found it to be useful to broaden a mono signal by feeding
it through a hilbert transform pair, or actually any pair of allpass
filters. Very small frequency shifts produce slowly moving stereo
images. I have collected some sound examples (mostly using an analog
frequency shifter) here:

http://ristoid.net/modular/freqshift.html

The theoretical exposition is not aimed at readers on this list, but
maybe you can spot some errors.

Risto