Alex:

Any algorithm with a deterministic computation time can be applied in
real-time if latency is sufficient enough. Are you familiar with the idea
of copying the stream to a buffer then applying the algorithm and
outputting the older data which the algorithm has already been applied to?
Adding latency like this and processing in blocks is the standard method
that allows very cpu heavy processing to be applied to a real-time stream.
The only real requirement for real-time processes is to output the same
number of samples as the input (at the same sample rate).

Pitch shifting methods stretch or shrink the signal creating more or less
samples and you must figure out how to remove the extra or add samples to
be the correct number of samples in order for it to work on a real-time
audio stream. This is the resampling part and there are many ways to
address it.

I think we might be able to help more if you can ask more specific
questions about the implementation details you are struggling with.

_Spencer