> Orion wrote:
> > It doesn't make much sense to me why it would be bootleg.
> I buy a CD,
> > put it in my computer, open a ripping program, hit go, and have a
> > bunch of wav files that I can encode to whatever.  I buy a
> live DVD,
> > put it in my computer, open a ripping program, hit go, and have a
> > bunch of wav files that I can encode to whatever. There's no
> > difference in process between the two for me other than
> using EAC for
> > CD ripping and DVD Decrypter for DVD ripping, so it's hard
> to see why
> > when I rip a CD it would be official but when I rip a DVD
> it would be
> > bootleg.  I suspect other people that rip the audio from
> their live DVDs feel the same way.
>
> The difference is that for DVDs you usually split the wav
> files to match the songs. I doubt there are many video DVDs
> where 1 chapter == 1 songs.

I don't think splitting a wave file constitutes a bootleg. A bootleg is an
unofficial and often (but not always) unauthorized recording. We're talking
about DVDs that are both official and authorized and released by the artists
label not someone's home movie.

--
Cristov (wolfsong)

History does not repeat itself. Historians repeat each other.
Arthur Balfour