I agree, and I'm glad you want to go all the way rather than some of
the way, which i don't think helps. it's either one or the other for
me.

i don't think there is a way of doing this without duplication - even
if we could assign multiple 'releases' to one track list (as i seem to
recall NextGenerationSchema was going to do, amongst other things?),
you'd still have more or less duplicate albums for tracklist variants,
artwork variants, etc, etc. there definitely needs to be some way of
them inheriting AR (and other things? track names?), but i anticipate
this being a track-track relationship, in the long run (for VA albums,
compilations, etc), not album-album.

i hope people can see where i was coming from with the 'still' thing -
i saw it as a bit of a precedent really.