On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:42:22 +0200, david scotson wrote:

I personally ran a script over my collection to attach the original
release date (or at least the earliest in MB) to the version I had,
even if it was on a greatest hits or compilation. I simply ignored any
text in brackets (you can go further and specifically identify certain
string formats to ignore), slightly fudged the text to account for
punctuation differences and made sure the track time matched within a
small tolerance. It worked pretty well (apart from a lack of early
vinyl and single release dates) so I'd suggest anyone that really
needs to identify the 'same' track on different releases is always
going to have to do something like that, or at least for the near
future.

And there are PUIDs. There are not enough of them yet, but isn't that what they are supposed to be for, eh?

  DonRedman

--
Words that are written in CamelCase refer to WikiPages:
Visit http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ the best MusicBrainz documentation around! :-)