2007/5/9, Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

2007/5/9, mud crow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> It's the publisher who owns the rights to the songs, the publisher may
be
> the record label, or the artist or a totally separate company.
> [...]
> they have total control over releases and licensing.
>
> [...] A bootleg is
> an unlicensed release.

I like that, and second it.

Either a release is properly licensed by the right owner (publisher)
(hence it is "official" as we word it right now) or not (hence it's a
"bootleg" as we word it right now).

There's no notion about legal/illegal in that, no nitpicking about
artist/label opinion whatsover, no endless discussion about recording
vs release etc.

Something simple, clear and to the point.

Opinions?

I agree it is simple and universal. And it is close enough to the current MB
definition that we should not have to worry about the releases which have
already been tagged as bootlegs.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria