On Jan 30, 2008 10:11 PM, David K. Gasaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Explain again what value this typography brings to the table.  Typography, by
> definition, is a set of rules to improve layout and readability of type _in
> print_.  How does it apply to track titles in a database?

The "in print" part is not part of the definition. It's the art and
technique of using type (graphic characters).

The value of having it in database is that good typographical
conventions are easy to propagate to users of the database. The titles
in the database have _no_ value unless someone actually looks at them,
ie they are typeset.

The problem here is that we clump a _lot_ of information (see the
schema posted here above) in a single text field, the "title" of a
track. In this case, having good conventions is important because it's
very hard to re-format the data later. (Note that there is absolutely
zero discussion on MB about whether or not the correct name of an mp3
file is "Artist - Album - Title.mp3" or "Title - Artist (Album).mp3".
That's because the database has different fields for those elements,
and it's trivial to format them according to personal preferences.)

Ideally typography should be a separate issue. What we'd be discussing
is how to format the various pieces of info in the title so that
they're easy to tell apart. We could then use Picard (or whatever) to
split the fields and apply any typographical rules we wanted. The
problem is that this splitting is pretty much impossible without using
very weird characters (that aren't used in normal titles), which would
leave us in the same situation, only harder.

So it's a good idea to pick up good typographical rules before
committing data into tags, so minimize the need for fixing things
later.

-- Bogdan Butnaru — [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I think I am a fallen star, I should wish on myself." – O.

PS: Example: Suppose I want to use the MB database to print a catalog
of music, sell it, and give lots of money back to the MB foundation.
Many if not most of the prospective buyers would be interested in
something of high quality. An example feature would be to use correct
quotes in titles that contain quotes, according to the language of
each title. This is between very hard and impossible, because a long
time ago, for the sake of simplicity, we chose to allow only " in the
tags. Since quotes only appear in a small fraction of the tags, that
wouldn't have been a big cost, but changing them all now it would be.
I totally support not making that kind of decision in the future.

PPS. Remember that this only happens when we stick more than one kind
of info in a single text tag. That's why I also strongly support any
kind of evolution towards more specific tags.