Bogdan Butnaru wrote:
On Jan 30, 2008 11:30 PM, David K. Gasaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There's not much point in type without print.  Well, okay .. things
may have evolved slightly since computers. ;)

We might have a mindset-difference here. I consider what I read right
now on my computer _is_ type.

Heh.  Did you miss the second part of my reply?

But some typographical conventions (eg, use endash for intervals and emdash for parenthetic separation) are context independent, and that's what we're dealing with here.

In my mind, the only reason for different dashes is to improve readability of
text in print (be it physical or virtual) and may or may not be appropriate in
a data context.

If that's the only issue we're looking at, I'd say
there must be better technical solutions (even quick-and-dirty
ones) than "correct typography".

Absolutely, but in the mean time, we have to pick a standard, and we might as well pick the right one.

Are you saying typography is the correct solution to separating the parts of a
title?

That's a lofty goal given the open, collaborative nature of
MusicBrainz.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

You didn't understand - I was simply admiring your optimism. ;)

I don't agree. It's actually easier than capitalization, because you don't need to understand what it says, you just need to know the quotes used for each language.

Fair enough, I stated my argument incorrectly.  What I should have said is it
requires more *learning* on the part of the users.  Most users are already
going to understand title case, but not many are going to already understand
typographical rules.

You mention in a later post that correct typography is harder to interpret correctly. Do you think the correct typography in any of
the things below is harder to interpret?

Harder to interpret the rules, not harder to interpret a title following
typographical rules.

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]