Brian Schweitzer wrote:
That's a great idea and all, but will it be the default?

Well, I'll be blunt: to me, MusicBrainz is a music database, not a
tagger database.

Sorry, I wasn't clear with that question.  It wasn't a criticism of typography
in track titles.  Rather, I was trying to make the point that if typography
moves forward, a change to Picard may be in order to head off complaints.
Obviously, this would be an optional feature.

Do many people case whether
French releases are in correct French caps, or just in sentence caps?
Probably most people don't even know it when they see it.  But do the
French editors care?  Yup - check that wiki discussion page, they very
much seem to care.

There's the same argument again (now with French instead of Korean).  :)

And why is typographically correct punctuation any different?

Because characters are an entirely different beast than punctuation in terms of
mindset (typography is an entirely esoteric study to most people), context, and
intuitiveness.

- is wrong in any language.  "foo" is wrong in almost every
non-English language.  - : and "" in non-latin scripts is totally
wrong.  Yet CSG without language-correct typography forces it all, no
matter the language, no matter the script, into these literally
nonsense forms.

Are you saying that you want to use _different_ punctuation to seperate the
parts of a title depending on the language/script?

As for people who enter Hangul releases having hardware to support
it...  well, just as the Chinese and Japanese release I've entered
(and encountered others entering)...  I don't, nor did most of them,
have asian scripts natively support, but I/we did our best to handle
it all the same.

I don't understand.  Why would a person purposefully use a script they cannot
meaningfully display (aside from the hard-core MusicBrainz faithful)?

I keep making that point because I keep seeing the
same two arguments against correct typography: 1, that it is
harder/"impossible" to type, and 2, that taggers/hardware doesn't
support it.

How about 3) harder/impossible for the lay person to interpret correctly?

I don't disagree - correct typography is harder, if we require it.
But then, so is correct information, correct spelling, and correct
capitalization.

It's the level of difficulty that's at issue here, to my mind.

Perhaps, in an interim while the works lists for the composers who
typically would even end up on such a "greatest classical hits" set
are covered.

No, the realist in me says it will continue indefinitely for releases of many
types.

Explain again what value this typography brings to the table.  Typography, by
definition, is a set of rules to improve layout and readability of type _in
print_.
How does it apply to track titles in a database?

Well, first, by using 3 different dashes, and correct ones for each
purpose, they are now specifically replaceable.  If I want to convert
latin dashes in an English CSG listing to chinese punctuation, if we
only use -, I have no idea what each means.

I'm sorry, I don't understand where you're going with this (my fault I'm sure).
 If you're arguing for language-appropriate punctuation, that's one thing.
Typography is another.  And using punctuation to separate the parts of a title
is another (perhaps that was only Bogdan's point, not yours; I forget).

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]