On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 11:37 PM, Kerensky97 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Big huge reminder here.  Like I said this is not a typical AR.  It will NOT
> sit alongside existing 'Earliest release of' and 'Remaster of' ARs or any
> other ARs for that matter.  Nor will it replace them.
> [...]
> Furthermore, Robert has said that EXISTING ARs CANNOT BE ADAPTED FOR THIS
> PURPOSE.

Why market them as ARs then? Can't we just have a concept separate
from release for this? "Album" is the first term that comes to mind
(it's "musical-centric" rather than "release-centric"), though it
seems a bit to restrictive. (If I understand correctly, we might have
CIs that group releases based on the same "single" song but widely
different in terms of B-sides. Similar for concerts.)

I see no reason why we wouldn't have a separate object only for that.
It could be done with only a few attributes—MBID, name & annotation
are the only three that seem to me absolutely necessary.

Then we could have a separate set of ARs between "it" and releases;
something like "R is a release of A". This avoids any instinctive
mental mix between the other ARs and CIs, and rids us of clustering
problems too. It could even be something specific: a 'release' of an
'album' would more like a release date than an AR.

Everything else (type, as in album or single; date of first release;
"typical" tracklist) would be generated automatically depending on
what releases are listed for a CI. (A bit like how label pages use
info from releases' release dates, only smarter.) And if everything
works nicely we might even have a "smart" artist page view which
groups releases automatically under "foldable" CIs.

> Please move beyond the discussion of whether other ARs can be used for this
> or if it's a duplicate of existing ARs; it is irrelevant and doesn't apply
> because the top dog said... EXISTING ARs CANNOT BE ADAPTED FOR THIS PURPOSE

But if CIs will look even superficially like I what mentioned above
(even if based on ARs), I see no reason why we couldn't use those
existing ARs to pre-populate the database with CI. Together with the
CIs going live on the server we should also run a script that
automatically creates CIs (or whatever we'll call them) for existing
releases, with a few heuristics:
0. only create CIs for official releases, with the same name as each release's;
1. if two releases are linked by "later release of" or "remaster of"
(probably transliterations, too), they get the same CIs;
2. if a presumptive CI's name ends with "([bonus] disc #*[:.+])" then
remove that part;
3. if several releases would give the same CI name, they're checked
for similarity on track names. If they're not sufficiently alike,
don't create a CI for them. (This only if there's no AR to guide us in
step 1.)
4. I'm sure others can imagine other such heuristics.

Since we'll have a beta-test period, we'd be able to run this script
several times on the test copy of the database and get it to a
reasonable level of conservativeness; and when we get the feature,
we'll already have the database populated with much of the info. We
already have a lot of machine-readable info for releases, I see no
reason why we shouldn't make use of it. The editors will then be able
to focus on the interesting cases.

(BTW, we could have a specific "machine-generated" quality level for
things like this, in case people want to filter-out things that
haven't been verified. It would go automatically to "normal" the first
time someone makes an edit on the CI; one could also explicitly change
it to "normal".)

Am I making any sense?
--
Bogdan Butnaru — [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I think I am a fallen star, I should wish on myself." – O.