From: Frederic Da Vitoria <davito...@gmail.com>
To: MusicBrainz style discussion
<musicbrainz-style@lists.musicbrainz.org>
Subject: Re: [mb-style] The return of [clean up CSG]??? (was: Re: CSG
issues (was: 'Piano Sonata / Concerto' vs. 'Sonata / Concerto for
Piano))
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:06:52 +0100

No, "taxonomy" is better, I think.

2009/1/7 Frederic Da Vitoria <davito...@gmail.com>
        BTW, wouldn't "cladism" be more appropriate than "ontology"?

        2009/1/7 Frederic Da Vitoria <davito...@gmail.com>

                I prefer Dave's and Adam's position. I once tried to
                design something closer to my way of thinking:
                http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/ClassicalFuture Sorry, the
                schema is not clear at all, but in this schema a work is
                generic and recursive (through "is part of"). I am not
                sure I still agree with all the details of this schema,
                though, and it certainly would need amending. I
                understand that this flexibility has a cost in terms of
                complexity, but

                1 - ARs have a similar flexibility / complexity and ARs
                are clearly one of the greatest ideas incorporated in MB

                2 - flexibility at the database level is not necessarily
                thrown into the face of the end-user, the user-interface
                may "rigidify" this flexibility so that the end user
                sees a well-delimited system.

                3 - if Dave's and Adam's and my type of design are
                flexible enough, Brian's ontology should fit into it so
                that the end user would see an interface on Brian's
                ontology. But if / when we need another ontology, we
                won't have any database modifications to implement.