http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Performance_Name_Relationship_Type
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Same_Artist_With_Different_Names
http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Artist_Alias#When_NOT_to_use_aliases

MB makes clear that Performance Names are to be linked to Legal Names, and
aliases are not supposed to be used for performance names.  That's good, but
what happens when no one knows an artist's real name?

Disregarding the fact that the debate in
http://musicbrainz.org/show/edit/?editid=10881818 is a complete trainwreck,
you can be pretty clear, even if you can't read Japanese, that "KOTOKO" and
"kotoko" are different artists.  KOTOKO has released all her music and
written lyrics for other songs as "KOTOKO" for nearly 10 years, and she
specifically announced that "kotoko" would be a side project.  She has
releases as KOTOKO scheduled for August, and she wrote lyrics for the
"kotoko 1st Single" as "KOTOKO", so it's not a case of inconsistent artist
capitalization either.

I am of the opinion that for all intents and purposes, "KOTOKO" is almost
like a legal name, and "KOTOKO performs as kotoko" would be an alright edit,
even though it bends MB guidelines. Because iff "kotoko" can't be linked to
KOTOKO as a performance name, then there is nothing you can do to link the 2
artists together, when they should be linked.

I am hoping we can get some discussion on Performance/Legal Names and see
everyone else's opinions on this matter, when no legal name is known but one
performance name is used consistently, almost like a legal name.