On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@foolip.org>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 06:43, Brian Schweitzer
> <brian.brianschweit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) In NGS, a Work is 'filed' under an Artist, just as Releases, Tracks,
> > Release Groups are now.
>
> Since this has nothing to do with spurious works, I'm spinning off a new
> thread.
>
> In the last NGS beta works were not implemented, so I assume it's not
> a done deal how they are going to be handled. If we have the
> opportunity to design it as we want, I would suggest:
>
> Let works not be filed under an artist, but rather be associated only
> by their ARs. Otherwise we will be wasting time trying to figure out
> which artist to file it under and there's a risk that the composer ARs
> is seen as "redundant" and not added, making the data less precise and
> reliable.
>
> I initially thought that perhaps it's because we're using a relational
> database and the indirection would be too slow (a join), but since we
> are able to generate pages like
> http://musicbrainz.org/show/artist/appears-on.html?artistid=35536 I
> don't think that's the case. The other issue is UI, but I refer to the
> URL of the previous sentence to show that it's not a problem.
>
> Thoughts?

Apart from some UI differences, I don't really follow why there'd be much
difference, whether a work is assigned directly to an artist, or assigned
via AR, if we're to use composer as the artist for a work.

Perhaps some part of the difficulty really would need "artist credits" to be
brought up:

Given:

Work: W
Composer 1: A1
Composer 1: A2

What difference do you see between having:

AR version:
W was composed by A1 and A2
A1 lists W in an 'appears on'-like listing
A2 lists W in an 'appears on'-like listing

Current NGS version:
W lists under the Artist Credit "A1 & A2"
"A1 & A2" is an artist credit linking artist "A1" and artist "A2"
A1 lists W in its works listing
A2 lists W in its works listing

The only difference I can see would be in the attributes, something like:
W was also additionally composed by A3
A3 is not a part of "A1 & A2", so A3 does *not* list W in its work list
A3 *does* however list W in its ARs; they're not implemented atm, but I'd
assume such work ARs would also list on the 'appears on'-like page

Brian