On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Leiv Hellebo <leiv.hell...@gmail.com>wrote:

> symphonick wrote:
> > Also conductor-in-residence as a sub-type of conductor - or do you mean
> > something else than chief conductor?
>
> Yes. Chief conductor is Music Director in Brians terms:
>
> "The principal conductor of an orchestra or opera company is sometimes
> referred to as a music director or chief conductor"

I would say the answer would depend on the title they actually hold.  In all
the position descriptions I could find, as well as the various discussions
on the two types of position (wikipedia, etc), 'music director' is distinct
from 'conductor' in terms of significant additional responsibilities.  Hence
the Music Director's 'The position (and any attribute used) should be
documented; it must not be assumed.' and 'Conductor Position Relationship
Type should be used in addition to this relationship type.' - a music
director is (normally) a conductor, but a conductor is only sometimes a
music director.

Brian