Hi Brian,

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 2:18 AM, Brian Schweitzer <
brian.brianschweit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  (By the way: the linked track has composer ARs for Lennon/McCartney - we
>> should probably change that after approval)
>>

> I don't follow what you mean here - are you suggesting that the composer
> ARs for Lennon and McCartney should be removed, and replaced by Writer ARs,
> just so the example is consistent?  That I would disagree with, as my
> understanding was that the Writer AR would be only used when the more
> detailed composer and/or lyricist AR isn't possible given current info.

No, not just so the example is consistent. I'm saying that 'Writer' seems
more appropriate it, as we do not exactly who of them wrote the lyrics, and
who composed the music.

These ARs were added here:
http://musicbrainz.org/show/edit/?editid=6076564
http://musicbrainz.org/show/edit/?editid=6076577

Neither of them was added with edit notes.
If there is more information saying that they both composed the music, then
we need to change the example (again...). If not, we should change the ARs.
Several people have acknowledged that in the past they have used composer as
the closest approximation of 'writer', even if it was not clear whether that
artist was indeed the composer.

Also, one quick note which occurs to me: The librettist AR...  "Writer"
> could also describe a librettist situation.  However, the current language
> still allows both Writer and Librettist to co-exist.  Any objection to
> modifying "An entity should never have both a Writer relationshipand a
> composer or lyricist relationship for the same artist." to read "An entity
> should never have both a Writer relationshipand a composer, lyricist, or
> librettist relationship for the same artist."?

Good point, updated.

Thanks,
Jeroen

P.S. I had to scroll through the edit logs for John Lennon back to 2006 to
find the edits. I found it on page 107. If anyone has a trick to find the
edit for an AR faster, I would appreciate hearing about it.