On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 7:08 PM, Nikki <aei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
>
> > In hip hop, it is usual that the person who creates the music is
> > credited as "producer". In some electronic music records the person who
> > creates the music is also credited as "producer", while in other cases
> > appears as "writer". This wasn't a big problem before, as people working
> > on a hip hop release usually know what "producer" means in that context.
> > But now I've seen in NGS "producer" will be a recording-based AR, while
> > "composer" will be a work-based AR. So the info about who created the
> > music will not be linked to the work if we keep true to the liner notes.
> > What can we do about it?
>
> Well, there's no reason why we can't have a producer relationship on
> works, if people think that's what makes sense.

I've seen some US hip hop booklets this week and it seems they mainly credit
producers as both "produced" and "written by" (BTW, please please please
agree on some wording for written by, it is impossible to take most releases
to a HQ level without it). So... we could ask people to use also "written
by" for hip hop producers, but this would involve an amount of guessing that
I feel a lot of people here won't be happy with.

Some kind of "created the beat for" AR could be added, but even though it
would be a good description, it is not the way it is usually credited
anywhere, so it might be confusing.

Putting a flag on the Producer AR that makes it go to work level would be
nice... but I have no idea on how we could word it in a way that made it
distinct enough to ensure no-one used it by mistake but people who had to
use it did. The worst part is that sometimes the person credited as
"producer" in these albums both puts the beat together (or even composes it)
and does the standard "producer" stuff, while other times he's just a guy
who made a beat and sold it through the internet or whatever and didn't
interact with the finished song at all apart from that -and usually there is
no clear way of knowing which is the case by looking at the cover.

> Nikki

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren