Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:

> The least bad way I can see of working with all this would be having 2
> different works for every "standard" hip hop recording. One for the
> vocal track and another for the beat / instrumental track, and think of
> the songs as if they were mashups in a way. After all, it is quite
> common to release the instrumental track on its own, just without the
> vocal track (and even to release wholly instrumental versions of
> complete albums, just without vocal tracks) and not strange to release
> just the "a cappella" version of the track, which is just the vocal
> track on its own. Other things like scratches and such could be added in
> a per-recording basis.

 From that description, I would handle those the same way as the karaoke
versions are currently handled (since karaoke versions are common
versions of the songs which are the same except the vocals are left out,
and sometimes you get an entire disc which just contains karaoke
versions). "A cappella" versions where the music is left out instead pop
up from time to time too, but not often enough to bug me yet...

Right now, we have a track-track karaoke version relationship for them.
In NGS, the relationship is kept between the recordings, and both
recordings are linked to the same work.

Maybe it would work... I have absolutely no experience with hip hop
though. :)

Nikki