(First, sorry that Mail.app was broken and didn't wrap my original
message. I've switched to Thunderbird for now.)

On 1/25/11 9:38 PM, Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:52 AM, Michael Wiencek<mwt...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hi Nicolás, I have a few comments about the guideline. For
>> [untitled] tracks it states: "These tracks are clearly not given a
>> name on the release (album sleeve and liner notes) they appear
>> on."
>>
>> I think this sentence is vague enough to apply to [unknown]
>> tracks, because they aren't given a name on the sleeve or liner
>> notes either.
>>
>> Maybe it can be said that [untitled] tracks are often represented
>> by a blank space in the track listing:
>> http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1125103 (track 1)
>> http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=12261 (track 6)
>> http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=368236 (track 1)
>>
>> The argument is that if those tracks were titled, their titles
>> would have been printed. Yet someone might make the same argument
>> for hidden tracks. A difference I see is that [untitled] tracks
>> are referenced in some way on the sleeve. Is that fair to say, or
>> can anyone think of counter-examples?
>
> Would "These tracks are clearly shown to lack a title [or 'to have no
> title'] on the release (album sleeve and liner notes) they appear on"
> solve this?

Yeah, I think that's a decent improvement without making the sentence
more verbose; hidden tracks are not "shown" period, so it reads better
to me.

>> I'm wondering how the following case is considered under the
>> guideline: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=367358 (track
>> 1) http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=182893 (track 12) The
>> literal word "Untitled" is printed in the track listing. Were
>> these tracks "clearly not given a name"? Is it even possible to
>> know if an artist really wanted to name their song "Untitled"? ;)
>> There was a related mailing list discussion in 2005 that didn't
>> have many replies.[1]
>
> Hmmm. Currently, it is not considered, or not fully. I'd see how the
>  use of any of the options could be argued for with the current
> wording, so a specific indication should be added about it. Style
> list, input is needed about what that indication should be:
> "Untitled" or "[untitled]"? (I like "Untitled" myself a bit more,
> but can be convinced to choose either option. We need to choose one
> though.)

The 2005 thread I linked to hinted that sticking with "Untitled" might
be safer (even if not always correct). I'm sympathetic to that
reasoning. I'm wondering if these should be decided case-by-case through
edit notes, but any case of this would seem equally ambiguous to me, so
I don't know if that would work out...

>> Just a few other comments regarding point #1 under "Untitled
>> tracks": "The recording and work used for the track will normally
>> be also [untitled], but if the track is given an official name in
>> another release, the recording and work can be updated."
>>
>> This is also vague to me.
>>
>> - It says the recording and work can be updated, but doesn't
>> mention that the track (tracklist) should be. Is this intentional?
> Fully so. AFAIK NGS tracklists are supposed to represent what is on
> the release: we no longer need to make the track titles standard, as
>  recordings and works already join all those tracks together.

That's how I interpreted it, but I wasn't sure of the extent to which
we'll be respecting what's printed on a release. I'd agree we should
respect title variations at least, but I didn't really consider the lack
of a title as being a variation.

>> - Doesn't this also apply to [unknown] tracks? I think this should
>> be moved to its own small section which also mentions [unknown].
> I wouldn't say so. As [unknown] is supposed to be a temporary status,
> I think it the tracklist should change too to in this case.

I read it as applying with a larger scope.
e.g. If an [untitled] track is later released with a title, we should
update the recording/work, but not the tracklist where it was untitled.
If we find the title of an [unknown] track, we should update all three.
That's how I read the sentence as applying to [unknown].

>> - When would the recording/work not also be [untitled]/[unknown]?
>> It later states "the recording and work can be updated." When
>> shouldn't it be updated?
> Heh, agreed. Should probably read "the recording and work should be
> updated".

Agreed, that clears up the confusion for me there. :)