2011/6/6 Alex Mauer <ha...@hawkesnest.net>

> On 06/06/2011 02:02 PM, Christopher Key wrote:
> You
> works
> >> I can’t think of any reason that the part ordering is important.
> >> Tracklists provide the ordering where it is relevant, do they not?
> >>
> > See [2].
>
> I understand that the parts *are* (usually) ordered, but I don’t see the
> importance of having this order information reflected in the
> relationship, or recorded in Musicbrainz.
>
> Compare to how this Recording[1] records the fact that it comprises two
> works, without the relationships having an order. I would think that
> aggregate Works would have a similar display.
>
> 1.
>
> http://musicbrainz.org/recording/65bc6bdc-607f-4c67-97ec-4dccd1b82259/relationships

Funny, I could have used your example to illustrate why numbering could be
useful :-) What if there existed another recording of the same pair of works
but in the reverse order? Wouldn't order become relevant? To return to
Works, if we use only brute alphabetical ordering, we might end up with
lists like " End" followed by "Intro". Trying to put some order here seems a
good idea. And sub-part order is definitely Artist Intent, so I don't think
we can assume it has nothing to do in MB.

--
Frederic Da Vitoria
(davitof)

http://www.april.org