On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 16:16 +0100, Pete Marsh wrote:

> This makes my head hurt, but here's a couple of questions just to make
> sure I'm kind of understanding it....

Take 2 ARs and call us in the morning. ;-)

> 1) how do we ascertain that a remix has enough new content to make it
> a new work? (it's going to be the exception rather than the rule to
> have new lyricist/composer credits). it would seem to me that most
> contemporary remixes would fall under that category. some are almost
> indistinguishable from the original (Aphex Twin has been known to pass
> off completely original new works as remixes)

I suggest it be when the derivative work has work attributions that are
distinct from the original (e.g. additional composer or lyricist).

> 2) wouldn't the relationship be to a recording, not a work?  so the
> remix is a work extrapolated from a recording?

Yes, it would be too. It wouldn't be a remix if it did not contain
recordings from the original it is a remix of. The issue is that a remix
can contain "additional work" of another artist.

Paul