From: musicbrainz-style-boun...@lists.musicbrainz.org
[mailto:musicbrainz-style-boun...@lists.musicbrainz.org] On Behalf Of
Paul C. Bryan
Sent: 08 June 2011 23:46
To: MusicBrainz Style Discussion
Subject: Re: [mb-style] Works and remixes/covers

On Tue, 2011-06-07 at 16:16 +0100, Pete Marsh wrote:

        This makes my head hurt, but here's a couple of questions just
to make sure I'm kind of understanding it....

Take 2 ARs and call us in the morning. ;-)

        1) how do we ascertain that a remix has enough new content to
make it a new work? (it's going to be the exception rather than the rule
to have new lyricist/composer credits). it would seem to me that most
contemporary remixes would fall under that category. some are almost
indistinguishable from the original (Aphex Twin has been known to pass
off completely original new works as remixes)

I suggest it be when the derivative work has work attributions that are
distinct from the original (e.g. additional composer or lyricist).

        2) wouldn't the relationship be to a recording, not a work?  so
the remix is a work extrapolated from a recording?

Yes, it would be too. It wouldn't be a remix if it did not contain
recordings from the original it is a remix of. The issue is that a remix
can contain "additional work" of another artist.

Paul