I’ve mostly said my piece on edit #14583494.  However:

> While duos which are preserved by virtue of having only one
> surname or omitting their first names would include Spiers & Boden,
> Richard & Linda Thompson, Simon & Garfunkel, Norma & Lal Waterson, and
> many more.

They don’t have to be, it was just a function of the
collaboration→artist credit script to not try to do more than it perhaps
should have.

I don’t think this is about duos, but more about any group where the
collective name is simply a list of the individual names.

And I think we can/should at least somewhat disregard the collaboration
relationship guide for this, because it’s not intended to cover this
situation.  After all, the example given[1] is for Headgirl which does
not come close to fitting this pattern.

> Did I miss the memo, or
> do we need some clearer guidance on this topic?

It seems we do, or this would never have come up.

Maybe we need some more guidelines for how to handle multi-artist
credits.  I’ve come up with a set of criteria which may be relevant in
deciding whether an artist needs a separate page:

* The group is known by a different name when performing together.  (how
different? is “First & First” sufficiently different?  How about “First
& First Last”?  What about nicknames?)
* The necessity of an AR to the group.
* Some kind of notability requirement? (Wikipedia?  Official home page
under the group name? both are really AR requirements, but maybe some
other notability requirement like google search suggestions??)

Following this, I created a spreadsheet[2] which looks at the artists
you listed, the artists I listed, and several others which seemed
relevant.  I highlighted in green the artists that I would make
standalone artists, all the rest I would handle as artist credits.

From that, I find that the following are what I consider important:

* Does/should the artist have any ARs (ignoring BBC music ones since
they pull their data from MB)?
* Does their collective name prevent use of artist credits (e.g.
Waterson:Carthy has three members, so there’s no way to assign part of
the name to each member—obviously it has ARs too, but just for
illustration purposes.)

1. http://musicbrainz.org/doc/Collaboration_Relationship_Type#Examples
2.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asu0ZbRsetVMdERPaGw5N3BzR3E0dEFjNjdZR0ZmWVE&hl=en_US&authkey=CI61hfYN