On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:00 AM, Ryan Torchia <anarchyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the time this was proposed, the "current recordings and release group
> style" did not include the changes in RFV-327.  It seems kind of sketchy
> that the discussion of how to treat track titles was specifically excluded
> from that discussion, yet will be implemented by this one.

Except for capitalization, there are basically no style guidelines for
track titles. That means most new releases already have featuring
artists in the artist credit field, because that's most obvious way to
do it. Applying the current style guidelines, somebody would have to
change the recordings to match the featuring artist style (i.e. move
the artists to the title), but this was not happening in practice and
the artists stayed in the artist credit field. There was no need to
discuss that in the RFV-327 thread, because in most cases tracks
already artist credits like that. From my point of view, it was about
making the style guidelines for recordings a little closer to what's
happening for tracks.

This change is about applying normalization even on the track level.
That means that instead of "A featuring B", "A feat. B", "A-FEAT.-B",
etc. (which are currently all completely valid track artist credits),
we will standardize it to "A feat. B". If RFV-327 wasn't applied, we
would standardize it to "A - Title (feat. B)". I'd have been fine with
either way, as long as it's consistent.

Lukas