2012/2/1 lorenz pressler <l...@gmx.at>

> Am 31.01.2012, 05:32 Uhr, schrieb David Gasaway <d...@gasaway.org>:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:03, lorenz pressler <l...@gmx.at> wrote:
> >> why should i bother adding composer at work lvl if i can do it at
> >> release lvl?
> >
> > Here is the practical problem I see with playing too much with track
> > ACs.  If my plays start scrobbling as "Yo Yo Ma - Sonata for cello and
> > piano, Op. 99" either because that's what's stored in ARTIST, or
> > stored in MUSICBRAINZ_ARTISTID, or pulled in by last.fm through their
> > data feed... Well, then I have a big issue with that.  Before we make
> > a change like this I want to know that this scenario *will not
> > happen*.
>
> i was referring to release and release group titles. i don't really care
> about track-AC, i agree with you that we have to be considerate about
> other applications and services that rely on that field. leaving it at
> composer like we used to is ok for me, if we would add main performer it
> would be okay for me too. even just crediting the main artist would be ok
> for me too, eg. only the performer on a recital. what i don't want is to
> scrobble "feat. conductor, piano:" etc..
>
> what i don't want is superfluous and redundant information on the
> release-AC (=album artist). the purpose of this field is to assign
> releases to specific artists. and thats it. lucky for us the publishers
> have already rid of us the task to find out what artists should be
> credited here, they wrote it on the front of the cover since they want
> their releases sorted in correctly.
> and it does not matter at all who played which role of these artists, that
> is not the purpose of this field. on my cd's at least there is no
> performer indication on the front cover. if everything would be printed on
> the front cover (release-AC) it would be quite ugly and i won't need to
> open the booklet or look at the back (ARs) at all. and if i don't need the
> ARs is won't write any for my own releases too.
>

> pabouk wrote:
> > Why do I think we should have two artist fields at the release
> > level? How would you solve the following without them?
> >  - User should be able to store the prominent release-wide
> > composers into one tag and performers into another tag.
> > This is important to sort and search _whole_ releases
> > in a music collection by composers or by performers.
>
> if i want releases credited to Beethoven i just go to the releases tab on
> the artist Beethoven.
> if i want releases credited to Barenboim i just go to the releases tab on
> the artist Barenboim.
> in most cases this is sufficient.
> in some cases you'd have some artists that do compose and play. if there
> is a great need to differenciate between them the much sleeker solution
> would be to compare release-AC with recording-ARs and derive the solution
>  from that instead of duplicating data.
>
> > - In the MB webUI we should be able to sort and group
> [...]

Let's look at some release artist examples, only composers & artists
featured on the cover. Using slash & "perf." for now:

http://musicbrainz.org/release/8f2aff61-f59f-4b78-967b-2861ac303250
Johann Sebastian Bach perf. Herbert von Karajan / Berliner Philharmoniker

http://musicbrainz.org/release/ba355099-bdf0-4074-941b-c7990f8169ae
Antonín Dvořák / Пётр Ильич Чайковский / Александр Порфирьевич Бородин
perf. Emerson String Quartet

http://musicbrainz.org/release/b950a1d7-58db-4b7f-9c36-50d5a91b1393
Johann Sebastian Bach / Dietrich Buxtehude perf. Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

http://musicbrainz.org/release/b9c71fc4-4f13-4770-b4ba-7674b55216cb
Strauss perf. Montserrat Caballé

http://www.amazon.com/Copland-Conducts-William-Warfield/dp/B0000CF32H/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1328095130&sr=1-1
Copland perf. Copland / London / Columbia

http://musicbrainz.org/release/40f3d6d2-058d-43c4-8e7c-1ed0e352e4ba
Various Artists

http://musicbrainz.org/release/93e6028b-47b6-4d6f-8ed7-acd2647747cf
Gioachino Rossini perf. Catherine Malfitano / Agnes Baltsa / Lucia Popp [8
more!]

comments?

/symphonick