On 13/12/2011 06:55, Lukáš Lalinský wrote:
> What I want is to define what kind of genres are there, how are they
> related and what tags people usually use to represent them. With this
> information you can say that the tags "hip hop, hiphop, rap, usa" are
> in fact mentioning only one genre - Hip-Hop. You can also say
> from tags "psytrance" and "psy-trance" that both represent a genre
> called Psychadelic Trance, which has its origins in Trance, which is a
> style of Electronic music.

More generally, what you would like to have is

1) a way to define tag synonyms, maybe with a representative of that
group of synonyms,

2) a way to relate tags with other tags.

The first thing would be very helpful for for grouping misspellings and
translations of tags (for example "cantautore", "cantautori",
"cantautoriale", "singer-songwriter", "singersongwriters" should all
belong the the same group). As long as you can have one representative
for locale, it is a very welcome feature.

The second feature (relate tags to each other) is going to be quite
complex. Take "jazz fusion": basically it is jazz + {contemporary
symphonic, groove, rock, blues}. I think it will be hard to fit these
relations in a tree or lattice. You may end up with a graph of
related-to relationships with loops. It would be interesting
nonetheless, but not really useful for practical purposes. And good luck
finding parents and children of pop or classical: is Stockhausen's music
derived from classical or electronic? What about Einaudi's music? Is it
classical, minimalist or elevator music?

Anyway, just having a way to group tag synonyms (not just genres) would
be nice and useful and probably a first step toward something.

Bye,

--
Gioele Barabucci <gio...@svario.it>