On 2 April 2012 23:19, lorenz pressler <l...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Am 02.04.2012, 23:17 Uhr, schrieb Philip Jägenstedt <phi...@foolip.org>:
>
>>> afair:
>>> recording -> disamig. comment only
>>> tracklist -> if its on the tracklist then it should be included in the
>>> trackname
>>
>> Is this documented anywhere, and is it how everyone is actually
>> editing? Is no one using the recording-level data for tagging, or are
>> you including disambiguation comments in all files to, well,
>> disambiguate?
>
> afair that was the consensus the last time there was a discussion about
> this, i don't know if this is explicitly stated somewhere in the
> guidelines (i guess not since you ask here). if you tag from recording
> titles thats a drawback you have to cope with imo.

What is "a drawback you have to cope with"?  The web service returns recording
titles, so these should be the most useful version of the title
possible and contain
the most sensible information across all releases.  Where that's in
doubt, that's
why we have a voting process.

 including this
> information would be MUCH worse; in worst case that would give you a
> tracklist for an normal album release where every track has a "(album
> version, XXXX remaster)" added.

Agreed with those examples; see my post.  There is ETI that should remain in the
title; remix and edit titles.

> also i think there are much fewer releases where the tracks need
> disambiguation than the other way round. if you need to tag lots of such
> releases (e.g. singles, anthologies) i guess it would be better to stick
> with the original tracklist tagging than recording titles (or append
> disambig. comments to the tracktitle if your tagger supports this).

The thing with including such comments is that disambiguation is a very general
field, and so using it can also introduce all sorts of rubbish.

Maybe the long-term solution is to include an additional ETI field
that could be used
for edit/remix information.  Whether that's worthwhile or not really
depends on how many
people want to detach it from the title.  Personally, I'd just
retrieve both and pair them
back up again.  I don't want all remixes of track X to be called simply "X".

> regards, lorenz.
>
> --

Andii :-)