On Apr 19, 2013 12:48 AM, "LordSputnik" <ben.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking for a while, and came up with a definition that I
believe
> is better than the existing one:
>
> "In MusicBrainz, a recording is a set of one or more audio tracks, which
may
> have been mixed or edited, but have not been mastered for a particular
> release."

You'll never believe it, but I'm happy with that! Well done :)

I think a lot of the differences over the last few days have been about
different interpretation of what captured sound was - just from a mic or
pickup etc. ; that plus 'effects'; any thing audio you can play back. I
always saw it as the last of these.

If we're going to discuss mixing and editing then audio track is right to
explicitly include existing recordings both for partial recordings but also
sampling in mixes.

P. S. I must have missed where you changed the other definitions to be more
like mine!
The new mastering definition by symphonick is good but I'd probably drop
the second sentence you've got since mastering is not a semantic level in
MB and it's superfluous (you don't use it to point to some relationship
that could be used for example ).