Ugh. I really dislike discussions based on top posting. :(

Den 01-10-2013 00:13, Tom Crocker skrev:
> Tune does
> seem usually appropriate, but explicitly can include vocal forms so
> isn't. I'd been wondering about instrumental tune but it sounds like
> others would object to this too.

Why is it a problem that whatever is decided on can include vocal forms?
There are plenty of lilting tunes/"mouth music" that cannot be properly
categorised as "songs", and likewise most Irish and Danish traditional
tunes have at one point or another been performed using lilting or other
"mouth music" styles (ie., by vocalisation).

A song has a tune, like a tune can have a song, but a song is not a tune
- and a tune is not a song. I think those two would make a good pair.
I'm a trad. head/folkie and I don't see what "more specific use" this
term should be kept for, per SwissChris' comment.

-------------

Some additional background to the thread in general:
The Danish word "sang" shares much of the same context of the English
"song": it is primarily used for vocalisations of a set of lyrics, but
can also be used to denote instrumental pieces in everyday speech.

However, I also agree with jesus that "song" should not be used for
instrumental pieces/tunes (possibly just outside the pop/rock realm), as
the correct term would not in any way ever be "song". It could be a
"lilt", a "waltz", a "jitter-bug", a "slängpolska", ... but not a song.
The question I ask myself is: if I was studying music (science) at a
high level, would I call this as a song?
I think we should hold the MusicBrainz "ontology" to such a high level
and standards that it is actually useful also at university level
projects. Alastair or some of the other university people we have around
might be good to consult on this.
Either way, calling everything "Song" because that is what John Doe who
never had even half an hour of music schooling in his life would call
it, is not an approach I find commendable.

--
Frederik "Freso" S. Olesen <http://freso.dk/>