On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Frederic Da Vitoria <davito...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2014-02-03 Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren <reosare...@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM, symphonick <symphon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Frederic, an "orchestra" can mean a lot of different things.
>>> At least we have to explain what it means to claim to be an orchestra.
>>>

>> I'm certainly open to suggestions, I'm just not too good at definitions.
>> Any good ideas? :)
>>

> Hm, now I really understand why you wanted to avoid giving a hard
> definition :-)
>
> First, must the definition be style independent? Should we use the same
> definition in classical and in jazz? Of course, it would be easier if we
> did, but could the same value be meaningful in all musical styles?

I guess that depends on what you mean by "meaningful". I am quite happy
calling everything that can within common sense be called an orchestra an
orchestra - apparently that definition doesn't satisfy some people, so I
was hoping any of them would be able to offer a better one :)

--
Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren