On 2009/01/01 07:16, Avuton Olrich <avu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy new year all,
>
> I wanted to work on updating copyright notices for the new year (yeah,
> yeah, I don't have plans to do anything ;)). So Max, please pull the
> following:
>
> git://git.musicpd.org/avuton/mpc.git
> git://git.musicpd.org/avuton/mpdscribble.git
>
> The last one is touchy and we may need to get some feedback on this. I
> changed all authors copyrights to (C) 2004-2009 The MPD Project, as
> there are many different authors and maintainers. This may upset some
> folks who may be touchy who may look at this as me stripping their
> copyright from the header, which is not my intention. The facts are
> setup in git repos forever. They're not going anywhere, nor is the
> history thereof. OTOH, do we need, want, permission to reassign to
> this "The MPD project"? Do we just want to strip it completely as is
> done in many projects?
>
> In linux: Usually done per file, kept to one person who authored the
> file in the beginning, sometimes changed.
> In firefox: A huge license block with the history of the entire file.
> In apache: Shows nothing but a small snippet of the license and a link to it.
>
> Personally, I think the apache route is the most reasonable, but I
> don't want to offend anyone by "stripping" their copyright off the
> top. What do we think?
>
> git://git.musicpd.org/avuton/ncmpc.git

All merged, thanks.

I think it's enough to mention the authors in the AUTHORS file and in
the git logs.

I'm trying really hard to preserve author information in git, and I'm
glad Eric went through a lot of hassle when he imported from svn to
git to make sure all patches are attributed to the correct person.

Of course, we must be careful about removing existing author
information from source headers.  With MPD, it's kind of difficult:
Warren initially wrote a lot of code, but even for new source files,
people just copied his copyright header, although he didn't write a
single line of it...  this is wrong.  Fortunately, we can check with
git ("blame", "log").

I'd suggest: check git before removing an existing name, and if the
author in the header didn't contribute a major part of the file,
remove him.  If an author (who write more than trivial patches) is
missing in AUTHORS, add him.

Don't put too much brain into that.  There are things which are more
important.