Hi,

This behavior has been introduced in MPD 0.14: When MPD returns an empty
value, it doesn't mean that the tag is empty but that the tag is unknown
(not set in the music file). As a client developer I find this behavior very
useful for example if you want to build a tree like this:
The Doors
----L.A. Woman
----Strange Days
----Unknown Album

It's also useful if some of your music files are badly tagged.

Marc