I'll express the same dissenting opinion I have on the bug tracker:

I think this is a really bad idea, and if it's implemented at all it
should be implemented carefully.  When you have a large amount of
music to add to the database (imagine you just found your long-lost CD
album at the bottom of your closet..)  you will generate a new
database update every 5-10 minutes, if not several in a row every 5-10
minutes.  (10 new files = 10 folder modification notifications, 10
songs per album, 1 minute per song to rip and encode, 100 CDs in my cd
case right now..  all averages.)  that will end up causing the mpd
database to be re-written each time there's an update, which will
cause the file system to reallocate the space for the database right
then and there each time.  this will probably lead to a high amount of
database fragmentation on a fairly moderately full file system.

Not to mention that updating the MPD database causes stuttering during
playback on every system I have.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Scott Horowitz <stonecr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Avuton Olrich <avu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Baybal Ni <nikuli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > MPD should use inotify in linux and it's analogues in another
>> > operating systems to update it's db automaticaly.
>>
>> This mailing list is not a bugtracker, but rest assured, we're way
>> ahead of you. Feel free to monitor this bug.
>>
>> http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=2091
>
> Just my two cents: I can't agree enough. If there was only a single feature
> that MPD implemented for the future, I'd want it to be this.
>
> Scott

 (\_/)  This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
(='.'=) into your signature to help him gain
(")_(") world domination.