On 2009/04/04 19:00, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
> Then maybe I should report a bug: if I don't start mpd with "nice -10",
> I get skips on a regular basis, and it becomes unbearable as soon as
> I run other things in the background (typically rsync-over-ssh since
> I use the same box for my backups).  I didn't report it since "nice -10"
> fixed it, and such things just seem fairly normal to me (tho, maybe mpd
> should/could do the "nice 10" itself when run as root).

Only a real-time kernel can guarantee that MPD doesn't skip (provided
that the hardware is fast enough).  Linux is not a real-time OS.

What we do on Linux is use large buffers, and hope that there will
never be a delay longer than our buffer size.  If other processes take
so much CPU or induce much latency (by blocking disk I/O, e.g.), MPD
can not compensate, and you hear skips.  In that case, increase MPD's
scheduler priority (negative nice level) to reduce the probability.

Of course, that rule of thumb is too easy for the real world.  There
may be bugs in MPD which increase the probability of skips, and there
may be a lot of room for optimization.  We will attempt to optimize
when we can measure such problems on a test system.  During the 0.15
development, MPD's internal latency has been reduced by orders of
magnitude, most of that with the implementation of reference counted
pages.

Which MPD version were you using, Stefan?