> I'll express the same dissenting opinion I have on the bug tracker:
> I think this is a really bad idea, and if it's implemented at all it
> should be implemented carefully.  When you have a large amount of
> music to add to the database (imagine you just found your long-lost CD
> album at the bottom of your closet..)  you will generate a new
> database update every 5-10 minutes, if not several in a row every 5-10
> minutes.  (10 new files = 10 folder modification notifications, 10
> songs per album, 1 minute per song to rip and encode, 100 CDs in my cd
> case right now..  all averages.)  that will end up causing the mpd
> database to be re-written each time there's an update, which will
> cause the file system to reallocate the space for the database right
> then and there each time.  this will probably lead to a high amount of
> database fragmentation on a fairly moderately full file system.

Sounds like a very hypothetical problem, which depends on many details
of how the feature is implemented.  I wouldn't worry about it: if it
turns out to be a problem it can be fixed.

> Not to mention that updating the MPD database causes stuttering during
> playback on every system I have.

I haven't seen any stuttering during mpc-update on my WL-700gE (64MB of
RAM, 266MHz processor).  Maybe you need to start `mpd' with "nice -10"?

        Stefan