On 2009/05/23 01:25, m...@funkyhat.org wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I've just started playing around with MPD and there are a couple of things
> I'm missing from using Banshee and Rhythmbox (although on the whole I'm
> finding the experience vastly superior :-))
>
> Firstly is the ability to easily put my whole library on shuffle
> (although admittedly this is rather trivial to do).

 "mpc add /"

> Secondly the ability to add tracks to a special "queue"
> playlist. This is how I see this playlist working:

We had this idea and feature request over and over, and we will NOT
have a "second" playlist.  This idea is complex and cumbersome,
because it requires to duplicate a lot of code inside MPD.

We will have a generic approach, which makes the "queue" a special
case.  It will be something like a "chained list of playlist" or
"nested playlists".  I hoped we could bring it into 0.15, but it
turned out the playlist code was so complex, I got lost during code
cleanup and never finished it.  I will continue work on that after the
final 0.15 release.

If you want to help, have a look at src/playlist.c, src/queue.c and
the other related source files.  Try to judge where you can simplify
and generalize code.  Post your ideas and patches on this mailing
list, so we can discuss them.

> Both of these features could work in such a way that current clients
> could use them without modification (although I don't know if that
> is of concern to you)

I think it is quite important not to break older clients.  Sometimes,
that is hard to do.  There's a lot of unmaintained but well working
MPD client code floating around, and we should keep it this way.