On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> opportunity to contribute something.  Specifically, I'm setting up a
>> retired G4 PowerBook as a living-room music server using mpd to feed
>> an external USB DAC.  And I've found that mpd's OS X output plugin
>> isn't quite as flexible as I like: there's no way to specify which
>> audio device to use.  This is no big deal if everything runs the
>
> An easy solution is to install something like Debian on that machine
> (which, contrary to OS X, still supports this hardware).

1) I spent *months* trying to get Debian and then Ubuntu working to my
satisfaction on this Mac.  I strongly prefer free software in general,
and both Debian and Ubuntu in particular, to OS X.  But the simple
truth is that Linux does not adequately work on PPC Macs: I had
problems like 8-bit colour, lack of suspend, lack of audio, excessive
fan noise, and so forth that simply don't happen on OS X.

But please let's not turn this into a rant about Linux on PPC.  I
tried it, it doesn't work as well as OS X, end of story.

2) OS X supports my USB DAC just fine.  mpd works great with it too
*unless* you run mpd as a daemon launched at boot. My patch is simply
about making mpd use OS X's Core Audio API to its fullest.

Greg