On 2013/01/02 18:14, Alexander Sack <pisym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Max. So when you say Glib is slowly fading out, does that mean for
> the core logic as well? I/O, main loop thread, etc. or just thread sync
> primitives?

Last year, I attempted to port MPD to Android, but found that GLib was
(nearly) impossible to cross-compile.  The Android port is suspended
until the GLib dependency is removed.

MPD doesn't use GLib for I/O.  The only exception is the GIOChannel
that is used for client connections, but GIOChannel are awful to deal
with, it's only used to plug it into the GMainLoop.

I don't know about the choice of event loop library yet, but anything
is better than GLib's GMainLoop.  I like libevent, but I'm not sure if
that will work easily on Android.

One thing I like a lot in GLib is the GError API.  I'd like to avoid
using C++ exceptions (and RTTI), because of the surprising semantics
and the runtime overhead.  (It's too easy to make a C++ program
bloated, and I'll do my best to avoid that.)