14.12.2013 0:10, Max Kellermann пишет:

> I'm all for fixing bugs in the stable branch, but if your idea of (2)
> is to backport the master code, then this is not my idea of a stable
> branch, and we're better off with (1).
>
> However my preference would be (3): fix only the regressions that made
> 0.18 unusable.

Hi Max,

I fully agree with your approach to stability, however situation is
somewhat disastrous.

Source of the problem is custom event sources (which are used everywhere
in 0.18.x unlike for example 0.17.x). GLib expects event handle in
GPollFD rather than socket descriptor. All hacks for constructing (and
updating) correct GPollFD are already implemented in standard GLib event
sources (i.e. standard IO channels). I've spent some time trying to
understand what they do, but didn't succeed :-)

I think implementing correct fix for 0.18.x by either copying internals
of standard IO channels or changing MPD to use standard IO channels is
unlikely to be considered stable anyway. Also I doubt that GLib
implementation is correct in all sutuations. IMO it's just too tricky to
do it well.

It seems that case (1) looks like the best solution.

--
Denis