On 2020-04-20 19:08:07 +0200, Gero Treuner wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 05:57:00PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > But why not using a cryptographic hash for the full local part, then?
> > This could be based on the full message (including the generated
> > headers at this point) + some random number. If there is a collision,
> > this would mean that the messages are the same, so that I don't think
> > this is an issue in practice... Or that cryptographic protocols are
> > broken, which would be a much more important issue than Message-Id
> > collisions.
>
> Yes, for space considerations when using hashes it is best to
> exclusively use the hash output for the part before "@".
>
> With hash algorithms the concern is not about collisions. I assume all
> established algorithms (even older ones) are acceptable in this
> discipline.
>
> The concern is that the inputs based on local and/or private information
> can be leaked. To achieve this the search space must be big enough.

Note that my proposal above is based on *only* information that
is sent to the recipient. And if only the Message-Id is divulged
(e.g. in logs), it is impossible to guess anything, except in
very particular cases (say, a system that would return a yes/no
answer, but the attacker would also need to know the headers and
guess the random number...).

> For hiding our pid etc. all data which can be found in the same email
> or maybe related emails is of no use for feeding to the hash, because
> it can easily be inserted as constants in brute-force searchs. Only
> the random number remains as secret besides the data.
>
> We need data which is unrelated to the email but - to be deterministic
> with regard to other Mutt instances - is equal to all Mutt instances on
> the same machine (even if generated from different sources - every Mutt
> developer has a separate "head" version, right? ;-)

I don't understand why you need data that "is equal to all Mutt
instances on the same machine".

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>